OpenHIE Academy is a community-supported initiative to build capacity for better health information exchange architecture processes. The Academy website hosts many FREE virtual, self-paced courses. The free courses often end with a short assessment which will then produce a certificate of course completion that you can download and share.
The OpenHIE Academy community now offers a certification! Currently we offer one certification in the foundations in health information exchange (see details below). Based upon needs in the field, we expect to expand the offering to include a more advanced certification for engineers, developers and others implementing solutions in the field. We envision a future where community members can be certified in many areas across OpenHIE and health information exchange topics.
You can view some FAQs on certification on this page.
Foundations in Health Information Exchange Certification
This certification is the initial certification offering sponsored by the OpenHIE community. The cost is $39.00 and the funds will be used to grow and sustain the OpenHIE Academy.
Based upon needs in the field, we expect to expand the offering to include a more advanced certification for engineers, developers and others implementing solutions in the field.
Certification Goals & Audience
This test is designed to designate that the certificate holder:
- Understands the basic concepts of interoperability
- Understands the basic function of health information exchange and the OpenHIE Architecture components
- Can designate which HIE architecture components are needed to solve a health data exchange challenge.
- Has a basic understanding of the importance of semantic and syntactic standards
All learners working toward having a foundational understanding of health information exchange. This includes:
- HIT decision makers (policy makers, MOH professional and HIT leaders)
- HIT business professionals (engineers and business analysts)
The cost of an Academy Certification is $39.00. These funds will be used to grow and sustain the OpenHIE Academy by allowing for additional certifications and the development of other capacity building materials. These funds allow us to continue growing the Academy to support implementers, students, healthcare workers, and others that are in pursuit of furthering their knowledge and experiences regarding Health Information Exchange. The certification costs helps us in our work of furthering the scope and reach of the Academy in both the ways of content and participants.
Preparing, Registering, and Taking the Exam
1). Prepare for the certification
- Take an Academy Live foundations course and /or use academy.ohie.org to take the following self-paced courses:
- Be familiar with the OHIE architecture component outlined in the OpenHIE Architecture Specification
- To take courses on the Academy Website, you will need to sign up for an OpenHIE account.
2). Register for Certification
The certification is $39 US dollars and this purchase allows for a maximum of two attempts at the certification.
- You will need to obtain an OpenHIE ID before you can purchase the certification exam.
- Go to the Academy Foundations in Health Information Exchange Certification page and select the “take this course” button to register and pay for the certification.
3). Take the Exam
- Watch your email for the receipt and the URL for the certification. You will have two opportunities to successfully complete the exam.
- Log into the OpenHIE Academy website with the same account you purchased the certification exam
4). Get the Certification Results
- Once you take the test, the results for the Foundations Certification will be automatically graded and you will see the results on the screen. You will need an 80% or above to pass the certification. If needed you will be able to have a second attempt at the test. Any time after passing the certification you can go to the course URL to download the PDF certificate.
- Purchasing access to get the certification grants you two opportunities to take and successfully pass the test with an 80% result. After your second attempt, please contact us at email@example.com to unlock the certification course. Please note you will have to re-enroll in the exam course with an additional exam fee.